Hello and welcome to the Tidewater Bridge Unit.
The Stayman Convention – Showing an Invitational Five-Card Major by Responder
North (N) is Dealer
♠ A5 ♠K98
♥ QJ1098 ♥AK6
♦ J763 ♦AQ1092
♣ 62 ♣97
South West North East
1♣ 1♠ Pass
2♥ Pass 3♥ Pass
4♥ Pass Pass Pass
1. Who and what is the opening bid?
2. Does the partnership belong in game or in partscore?
3. Does West know whether there is an eight-card fit in the heart suit?
4. How can West find out? 5. North passes. What is East’s reply to Stayman?
6. South passes. What should West rebid now?
7. North passes. What should East bid?
8. What is the final contract?
9. Who will be the declarer?
10. Who will make the opening lead?
11. What will the opening lead be?
12. How many losers can declarer afford?
13. How many losers does declarer have?
14. Are there any potential problems based upon which lead North chooses?
1.(With a balanced hand and 16 HCP, East opens with 1NT)
2. (West is not sure)
3. (Not yet)
4. (Bid 2♣, Stayman, and then bid hearts. This would show an invitational hand with a five-card heart suit.)
5. (2 ♦)
7. (East recognizes an invitational bid by West with a hand containing a five-card heart suit. East should bid 4♥ with a maximum notrump.)
11. (North has a great lead in the ♠Q, however, North may elect to lead the singleton diamond)
13. (Two clubs plus the ♦K if the finesse loses.)
14 (If North chooses the singleton diamond lead, West must not take the finesse or West will lose a diamond, two diamond ruffs and two clubs for down two. If West rises with the ♦A, West can safely pull trumps and lose the ♦K later, along with two clubs to make the contract.)
October 24, 2017
Section A Game
Leon C. Ragland – Aldis Raymond
Evelyn J. Monroe – Barbara Whitfield
Rosemary Whitehurst – Wilma H. Horne
Harriet F. Goodrich – Gloria Maddux
Lillye Holley – LaFrancis Rodgers
Cindy Burrell-Jones – Evelyn F. Brooks
TIDEWATER BRIDGE UNIT UPCOMING ACTIVITIES
Come, Join Us For Fun
And Duplicate Bridge In
PUERTO PLATA, DOMINICAN REPUBLIC
Oct. 25 – Nov. 1, 2018
All Inclusive Premium Villa Accommodations and:
Private Bath & Pool/ Beaches with Cabanas
Nightly Entertainment/ Casino
View photos at: www.lhvcresorts.com
Cost per person:
Single Room $1,420/Double Occupancy $1,120
Nonrefundable $300 room Deposit due
November 30, 2017
For more information contact Barbara Whitfield
All activities, unless otherwise noted, are located at the Berkley Senior Center, 925 S. Main Street, Norfolk, VA.
For additional information on classes, games, or tournaments, please call Jennifer Douglas at (757) 701-0640.