Covenant Presbyterian Church observed its 63rd anniversary on Saturday, August 26, with a program spotlighting its history. A luncheon followed in the fellowship hall.
The church dates its founding services to the Daily Vacation Church School held in August 1953 at the residence of the Pastor on Mapole Avenue. Seventy-five children and adults enrolled. Out of this organization grew the Christian Education program, and finally an independent church body.
The theme for the anniversary observance was “Honoring Our Past – Envisioning Our Future”. Two speakers who brought reflections were former pastors of Covenant: Rev. Dr. Wilbur Douglass, III, and Rev. Dr. Helen Bessent Byrd. Also bringing reflections was a former youth member of the church, now an adult, Rev. Jonathan Avery. Elder Melinda Harris-Peoples offered a vision of the future direction of Covenant.
Musical selections were delivered by Mr. Ron Myers, Covenant’s Minister of Music, and Violinist Mrs. Maricia McCleese. Others on the program were Rev. Veronica Thomas, Rev. Addie Peterson, Elder Claudette Gravely, and Elder Brenda H. Andrews, who presided.