Virginia State University officials recently held ribbon-cutting ceremonies at the grand opening for Lockett Hall.
The newly renovated building was built in 1930 and named for the late John Leon Lockett, who was director of the Division of Agriculture at Virginia Normal and Industrial Institute. A two-story addition was completed in 1964. The building had been vacant since 2006.
The two-year, $11 million project transformed the building into a state-of-the-art facility, which will house the university’s biology, nanotechnology, robotics and chemistry classes, as well as a testing center and other classrooms and laboratories. The labs include equipment.
Further upgrades included replacing plumbing and electrical systems, as well as adding a glass wall elevator, loading dock, central heating and air conditioning, emergency generator, distance learning technologies; and new windows.
Contractor W.M Jordan oversaw the construction.