What an extraordinary Shepherd He is to us! When He leads us beside quiet waters, restores our souls and guides us in the paths of righteousness, the Shepherd is enabling us to live our lives for Him. With the Lord as our Shepherd, we are not afraid to walk through life and we don’t fear death. The Good Shepherd will never forget His sheep. He died and rose for us. He loves His sheep now and forever. No one will be able to snatch us from His loving hands (John 10:28). God knows us. It is wise to let Him guide us in all of our activities. Let us continue to thank Him for comfort and protection. Does your cup seem to be constantly running over with His goodness and love?
How comforting and assuring it is for us to know that the Lord is our Shepherd! Surely goodness and His mercy will follow us all the days of our lives (Psalms 23:6). Let us ask our Shepherd to help us to hear and follow Him as we are comforted.
Psalm 23 is an eye opener for all Christian believers.
• The Lord is my Shepherd – Relationship
• I shall not want – Supply of needs
• He maketh me to lie down in green pastures – Rest
• He leadeth me beside the still waters – Refreshment
• He restoreth my soul – Healing
• He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness – Guidance
• For His name sake – Purpose
• Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death – Testing
• I will fear no evil – Protection
• For thou art with me – Faithfulness
• Thy rod and thy staff they comfort me – Discipline
• Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of my enemies – Hope
• Thou anointest my head with oil – Consecration
• My cup runneth over – Abundance
• Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life – Blessing
• And I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever. - Eternity
Through this Psalm of David, ask God to help us in hearing and following Him. We are special to God. WHAT we have is valuable, but WHO do we have as our shepherd? He is irreplaceable!
Mrs. Gladys McElmore, a resident of Norfolk’s Middle Town Arch Community, is a New Journal and Guide Freelance Contributor on religion. She is a native of Essex County, Va.