Three community service awards and five scholarships were recently awarded to recipients at the 2019 Spring Hat Jazz Brunch, sponsored by The Norfolk Pearls Foundation, a foundation, launched about three years ago by the Iota Omega Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Inc.
The event was held at the Norfolk Waterside Marriot. Providing entertainment were the Boys Choir of Hampton Roads and the Different Perspectives Jazz Band.
Community Service Awards were presented to Dr. Ruth Jones Nichols, CEO of the Foodbank of Southeastern Virginia and the Eastern Shore, Norfolk City Treasurer Daun Sessoms Hestor, and Norfolk Mayor Kenny Alexander.
Five scholarships were awarded to Norview High students Jakayla Blackshear, Jhanquia Rodgers, and Shy’da Whitley, as well as Maury High student Kaia Rasco, and Salem High student Sierra Gray.
According to its website, the non-profit awards five annual scholarships.
• The Vivian Carter Mason Community Scholarship
• The Iota Omega Norfolk High School Scholarship
• The Laura Gray Brown-Kappa Gamma Undergraduate Scholarship
• The Hermione Williams Jackson HBCU Scholarship Award
• The Thelma Hayes-Delta Epsilon Undergraduate Scholarship