Hello and welcome to the Tidewater Bridge Unit (TBU).
Sometimes you need to develop additional tricks in order to make your No Trump contract. One technique for doing this is promotion: playing high cards to drive out the opponents’ higher-ranking cards until your lower-ranking cards become sure tricks. Promotion involves giving up the lead to the opponents. Just make sure you have enough sure tricks in other suits to regain the lead before the opponents can take enough tricks to defeat the contract.
North (N) is Dealer
♠ J942 ♠ Q108
♥ QJ108 ♥543
♦ 983 ♦A6
♣ 42 ♣QJ1098
1. Who and what is the open bid?
2. Which player is the responder? Which player is the captain?
3. What level should contract be played?
4. Will this be a suit contract or a No Trump contract?
5. Look at responder’s hand. What should the response be?
6. What is the bidding message given by responder’s bid? What should opener do?
7. What is the final contract?
8. Who will be the declarer?
9. Who will make the opening lead?
10. What will the opening lead be?
11. How many tricks must declarer win to fulfill the contract?
12. How many “sure” tricks declarer have?
13. Which suit provides declarer with the opportunity to develop additional tricks needed to make the contract?
14. Which suit should declarer play after winning the first trick? Why?
15. Bid and play the deal. Did declarer make the contract?
1. North opens the bidding with 1NT
2. South is the responder and the captain
3. The contract should be in game
4. This should be a No Trump contract
5. The response should be 3NT
6. Responder makes a sign-off bid and opener should pass
7. The final contract is 3NT
8. North is the declarer
9. East makes the opening lead
10. East leads the ♣Q
11. Declarer must take nine tricks
12 There are six sure tricks between North & South
13. The diamond suit provides the best opportunity to develop the additional tricks needed to make the contract
14. Declarer should play diamonds after taking the first trick because declarer wants to set the suit up right away while there are still winners in the other suits.
15. Declarer should make the contract
July 11, 2017
Section A Game
Aldis Raymond – Lillye Holley
Delores J. Burney – Leon C. Ragland
Barbara Whitfield – Adrienne Ivory
Cindy Burrell-Jones – La Francis Rodgers
Lawrence Owes – Oneida Lacey
Olethia Everett – Wilma Horne
Elva N. Taylor – Helen Lake
July 12, 2017
Section A Game
Evelyn J. Monroe – Harold M. Kiefer
Jennifer Douglas – Elva N. Taylor
Adrienne Ivory – Barbara Whitfield
Wilma Horne – Olethia Everett
La Francis Rodgers – Cindy Burrell-Jones
Delores J. Burney – Harriet F. Goodrich
Rosemary Whitehurst – Oneida Lacey
Come and join us: Tidewater Bridge Unit 2017 Grade “A” Tournament—September 15, 16, 17 at the Hyatt Place, 70 Eden Way North, Chesapeake, VA. 233320.
RESERVATIONS: (757) 312-0020
All activities, unless otherwise noted, are located at the Berkley Senior Center, 925 S. Main Street, Norfolk, VA.
For additional information on classes, games, or tournaments, please call Jennifer Douglas at (757) 701-0640.