Hello and welcome to the Tidewater Bridge Unit (TBU).
COME OUT AND PLAY IN OUR NATIONWIDE GAME ON JUNE 2, 2017!!! Bridge points, food, and fun will be the highlights of the day. This is where EVERYONE will be a winner!
When the partnership has 25 or more combined points and a Golden Fit in a major suit, it should play in a Golden Game contract in the major suit.
West (W) is Dealer
♠ A763 ♠ 95
♥ AK7 ♥QJ10986
♦ K106 ♦AQ9
♣ K82 ♣75
1. How many points in each partnership?
2. Does either partnership have enough points for game?
3. Which partnership has a Golden Fit?
4. Which partnership has the majority of the strength?
5. Who will make the opening bid? What will the opening bid be?
6. Which player is responder & captain?
7. How does East know there is enough combined strength for game?
8. Does East know about the Golden Fit?
9. What might be a reasonable contract?
10. Who will make the opening lead? What will the opening lead be?
11. How many tricks must declarer win to fulfill the contract?
12. How many “sure” tricks are in the
combined East & West hands?
13. Another saying “get the kiddies off the street” (play the trump suit as soon as you get the lead), applies to this deal. Why?
14. What would happen if declarer did not play the trump suit before trying to take the other sure tricks?
1. North-South has 14 combined points; East-West has 26 combined points
2. East-West has enough points for a Golden Game
3. North-South has a Golden Fit in clubs. East-West has a Golden Fit in hearts
4. East-West has the majority of the strength
5. West opens the bidding with 1No Trump
6. East is the responder and the captain
7. East knows that there is enough combined strength for a game contract because East has 11 total points and West has at least 15 H(high) C(card) P(points)—a combined total of at least 26 points
8. East knows there is a Golden Fit in hearts because West must have at least two hearts to open the bidding with 1NT
9. The contract should be 4♥
10. South is on lead. South leads the ♣Q.
11. Declarer must take ten tricks
12. There are ten sure tricks between East & West
13. Declarer should draw trumps to take away the opponents’ trump cards.
14. If declarer did not do this, the opponents could score a low trump when South ruffs the third diamond trick.
May 24, 2017
Section A Game
Lillye Holley – Harold M Kiefer
Cindy Burrell-Jones – LaFrancis Rodgers
Aldis Raymond – Gil Watson
Wilma Horne – Olethia Everett
Oneida Lacey – Shirley Nottingham
All activities, unless otherwise noted, are located at the Berkley Senior Center, 925 S. Main Street, Norfolk, Va.
For additional information on classes, games, or tournaments, please call Delores Burney at (757) 321-0825 or Lawrence Owes at (757) 553-2601.